Tuesday, June 10, 2008

DAY 21: A FEW NASTY ADDITIONS




So I'm sitting on my little 5 gallon bucket admiring the tank and noticed teeny tiny little bubble things on the live rock.  Did a quick Google search and found out they're BUBBLE ALGAE.  (Example image from CORALFORUM.COM)  Mind you, ours are super teeny tiny ones.  Anyhow, looks like they spread like spores if popped, so we'll have to be careful if we don't want them to spread.  I relocated one of the snails onto them.  We'll see if there's any improvement.  Here's more info I found on REEFKEEPING.COM.

To the reef aquarium hobbyist, one of the rudest of surprises is to be confronted with an aggressive outbreak of 'bubble algae' in the tank. In the right conditions, they multiply and spread rapidly, offering good resistance to many herbivores, while threatening to smother many sessile ornamental organisms in the tank.

Another nasty surprise consisted of find the front bits of one of my little blue hermit crabs.  Luckily, I later counted two, which means all crabs are accounted for and that the little remnant of a creature I found was just from one of them molting.  *Sigh!*  

Also, I noticed this weird little spiderweb looking thing writhing in the sand/live rock.  I'm at at loss as to what it is.  Looks like it may be some sort of vermatid snail.  Click here to see what these nasties look like!  The must have come w/ the pipe organ coral since they look very similar to what I thought were little tidbits of broken pipe.  :/  OMFG gag!  I seriously HATE worms and snails and such.  Hopefully, the hermit crabs will do their biz!  *Cross-your-fingys!*

Anyhow, today was rather eventful.  Lots of little finds.  Oh!  And the bloody zoos keep detaching themselves, so I'm thinking they're just not happy w/ their situation, so I split them up and glued them on individually.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see just how well they like it now.

1 comment:

x0x0x said...

Ok so it's looking more like those spiderweb thingies are from spaghetti worms, which according to WetWebMedia, isn't so bad. Just means a bigger breadth of biodiversity in the tank, which is good.